· Food For Thought
Planked Crab Cakes with Thai Cucumber Relish
When I think “July” I immediately think “Crab Cakes”. Don’t you? Thought so. These delicious little fellas are great as an appetizer or as the main course. Recipe courtesy of the good folks at Napoleon Grills.
- 1 or 2 untreated cedar planks, soaked for 4 hours or overnight
- 2 lbs. lump crab meat, picked over for shells
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup crushed soda crackers
- 3 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- ½ cup mayonnaise (real, not whipped salad dressing)
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp. Seafood Seasoning and Rub or Old Bay Seasoning
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ cups coconut vinegar or rice vinegar
- 1½ cups water
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 2–inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and julienned
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup English cucumber, finely diced
- 1 tbsp. coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 Thai birdseye chiles, cut in very thin strips
Lay out your ingredients for the relish...
...and the crab cakes.
In a saucepan, boil the vinegar, water, and sugar for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the ginger, shallots, and cucumber. Stir and set aside to cool. Stir in the cilantro and pepper when cool. Set aside at room
Combine the crab meat with the eggs, crackers, mustard, mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, Seafood Seasoning and Rub, and salt and pepper.
Mix very well.
Form the crab mixture into cakes about 3 or 4 inches in diameter and 1 inch thick. As is true for burger patties, the more uniform in size and thickness, the better. Evenly space the crab cakes on the plank(s). Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour to rest.
We’re going to have corn as a side dish. We covered it with water for an hour or so before grilling. Our preference is to remove the silk from the top of the cob before soaking.
Set the planked crab cakes on the grill, close the lid, and plank-bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until cooked through.
Grill the corn directly over the heat for about ten minutes or so. Remove. De-husk. Simple.
Remove crab cakes from plank and serve 2 to 3 per person, topped with cucumber relish.