If that title alone wasn't enough to make you salivate, the smell of this while cooking definitely will. We recommend wearing a bib. Just look at these little bundles of barbecue joy! A tasty meal that will make even the biggest meatloaf hater a turncoat.
Meatloaf is one of those foods everyone makes just a little bit different. This recipe is a lot a bit different than the average meatloaf. Firstly, it's made on the barbecue. Sure, lots of people do it on the barbecue these days, but I bet your grandma's secret recipe was never made this way. To up our meatloaf game, we've wrapped it in bacon, basted it in Chipotle Maple Bacon barbecue sauce and cooked it on a maple grilling plank.
Grilling food on a plank is a great way to add extra flavour to your food. They come in a variety of woods, we chose maple for this one to enhance the maple bacon we used, but you can use cedar. Hey, the heart wants what it wants. Just make sure that you soak it overnight or it WILL catch fire and that's BAD. We soaked ours for 4 hours and it came very close. A few flames, nothing we couldn't handle.
We doubled the recipe below to feed our hungry staff, but even on its own it should easily feed 4-6 people.
- 1 lb Extra Lean Ground Beef
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/4 yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp grainy mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Montreal steak spice
- 4-5 strips of bacon
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce of choice
- pre-soaked wood plank
- Set up your barbecue for indirect cooking and preheat the barbecue to 375°F
- In a small pan, heat olive oil and cook garlic and onion until soft (approximately 4-5 minutes) and set aside.
- In a small bowl or cup, add the milk and breadcrumbs and mix together
- In a medium bowl, add ground beef, egg, bread crumb mixture, garlic and mixture, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and steak spice. Combine by hand until well mixed.
- Layout your strips of bacon width-wise on the plank (slightly overlapping) and place meat mixture in loaf shape on top. Wrap the strips across the loaf one by one making sure it's snug as a bug in a rug.
- Baste with your favourite barbecue sauce, we used CattleBoyz Chipotle Maple Bacon sauce... if you haven't tried it yet, you must!
- Cook over indirect heat for about an hour and 15 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165°F. Best to use a remote thermometer, or what I like to call the 'barbecue babysitter' to keep an eye on this for you.