As professionally licensed gas fitters and expert fireplace installers, we can assure you that it is safe to use our gas fireplaces during a power outage. With over four decades of experience in the business, we've heard just about all of it. So, we understand the concerns homeowners have when it comes to safety and functionality of their gas fireplaces when your electricity goes out. It's a valid concern, especially in regions where power disruptions are due to severe weather conditions - otherwise known as the typical winter in Canada. In this blog post, we're here to explain to you exactly why it is safe to use your gas fireplace when the electricity goes out.
The Reliability of Gas Fireplaces
Our top brand of fireplaces, made in Canada by Valor
, are designed with safety and functionality in mind, as they pass rigorous safety tests in their CSA approved lab. Valor fireplaces are powered by natural gas which are not dependent on your homes electricity for operation. This means that your gas fireplace can continue to provide radiant warmth and comfort during those chilly and potentially uneasy nights when the power goes out.
Safety Features of Our Gas Fireplaces
Gas fireplaces come equipped with various safety features to ensure that they can be used without risk during power outages. These features include:
1. Thermocouples: Gas fireplaces use a thermocouple to detect the presence of a flame. If the flame goes out for any reason, the thermocouple will shut off the gas supply automatically, preventing the release of unburned gas into your home.
2. Oxygen Depletion Sensor (ODS): ODS is a safety device in gas fireplaces that monitors the oxygen levels in the room. If it detects a decrease in oxygen levels, it will automatically shut off the gas supply to prevent the risk of carbon monoxide build up.
3. Manual Controls: Most gas fireplace come with manual controls that allow you to ignite and control the flame without needing your homes electricity (the pilot light is often powered by batteries for this very reason). This means you can still use your gas fireplace during power outages.
4. Battery Backup: Modernized gas fireplaces come with battery backup systems that can operate the units electronic components, including the ignition and fan, during the power outage. This ensures continued functionality and convenience.
Precautions to Keep in Mind
While it's safe to use your gas fireplace during a power outage, there are some precautions to be aware of:
1. Regular Maintenance: Ensure your gas fireplace is regularly maintained and inspected annually by qualified technicians to keep it in top working condition, as recommended by industry standards. Lucky for you, we can help you with that - just click here
2. Carbon Monoxide Detectors: Install carbon monoxide detectors in your home to provide an additional layer of safety. Whether you have a fireplace or not, it is wise to have these detectors that will alert you if carbon monoxide levels become a concern.
3. Ventilation: If you have an older fireplace, ensure that your gas fireplace is properly vented to prevent any potential buildup of harmful gases. This is a job that can be done by our licensed fireplace service technicians. If you're looking for a new fireplace, brands like Valor can be installed with direct venting straight to the outside of your home, which eliminates almost all concerns with harmful buildup in your fireplace ventilation system.
4. Follow Manufacturer's Guidelines: Always follow the manufacturer's guidelines for your specific gas fireplace model and heed their recommendations for safe operation. Our experienced gas fireplace installers will share their expert advice when they explain how your fireplace works, it's safety measures, and other general knowledge. They will also answer any questions you may have. However, it is still the responsibility of the homeowner to educate themselves on how their gas fireplace works.
To conclude and answer the question, "Is it safe to use your gas fireplace during a power outage?", yes - it is very safe because modern gas fireplaces will come equipped with multiple safety features to ensure that they can be operated without your homes electricity. However, it is essential to take the necessary precautions like booking annual fireplace services and getting carbon monoxide detectors to ensure your complete safety. So, rest assured and enjoy the warmth and comfort of your gas fireplace, even when the lights go out.
Barbecues Galore has the best selection of barbecues, grilling accessories, patio furniture, outdoor heating supplies, and fireplaces in Canada. We
pride ourselves on providing you with the best
backyard experiences and home comfort possible. With locations in Calgary and the GTA, you can visit us in store or shop online. North Calgary Store: (403) 250-1558 | South Calgary Store: (403) 258-4440 | Burlington Store: (905) 639-5952 | Oakville Store: (905) 844-3224 | Etobicoke Store: (416) 546-3266